Are there police victim services to help me?

Most major centres will have a police victim service unit or RCMP victim services. Look in your telephone directory for the local phone listing.

Winnipeg Police Services Victim Services

To speak with someone in Victim Services, call (204) 986-6350 or email

Across Manitoba

To speak with someone in Victim Services for outside of Winnipeg, call 1-866-484-2846 or contact your local Victim Services catchment:

  • Interlake/Eastman Region (Selkirk) -(204) 785-5213

  • Central Region (Portage la Prairie) - (204) 239-3378

  • South Central Region (Morris) - 1-866-484-2846

  • Westman Region (Brandon) - (204) 726-7400

  • Parkland Region (Dauphin) - (204) 622-5080

  • Norman Region (The Pas) - (204) 627-8483

  • Thompson Region (Thompson) - (204) 677-6368

Victim services may:

  • Offer emotional support to victims;

  • Provide police case information;

  • Furnish information about court proceedings and court outcomes;

  • Give information and explanations about the criminal justice system; and

  • Provide referrals to appropriate community agencies.

The victim service unit is able to help you in the initial stages of the investigation which involve the police. They may provide some follow-up after the murder.

Mennonite Central Committee Canada. (2011). Getting through the maze: A guidebook for survivors of homicide.

Was this article helpful?