What are some of the rights that I may request under the Victims' Bill of Rights?

At each stage of the justice process within Manitoba, you can choose to use rights from Law Enforcement Agencies, Manitoba Prosecution Service, The Courts, and Manitoba Corrections.

Law Enforcement Agencies

As a crime victim, your first point of contact with the justice system is likely to be a police officer. In Manitoba, this would include RCMP, Winnipeg or Brandon Police Service and municipal police. Under The Victims’ Bill of Rights, when meeting with police, you have the right to:

  • give an opinion on alternative/extrajudicial measures and release

  • be interviewed by an officer of the same gender in a sexual offence

  • have personal details about you kept confidential

  • information about the investigation

  • information about an offender’s escape from police custody

  • have your property returned when it is no longer needed as part of an investigation

  • information about the Manitoba Prosecution Service

Manitoba Prosecution Service

When someone is charged with a crime, a Crown attorney in the Manitoba Prosecution Service is responsible for dealing with the case. The Crown attorney must be fair to all parties in the case, including victims, witnesses and the accused. The Crown attorney is not your lawyer, but will take into account your concerns. As a victim, you have the right to:

  • information about the status of the prosecution

  • have your views on the prosecution seriously considered

  • have the Crown request restitution

  • information about Manitoba Corrections

The Courts

Criminal cases are presented in court. The courts include the physical place where cases are heard and the people who work there, such as the judges, clerks and sheriffs. If your case is presented in court, you have the following rights:

  • access to court proceedings

  • information about the date, time and place of a court proceeding

Manitoba Corrections

Manitoba Corrections is responsible for sentenced and unsentenced offenders. If the offender in your case is sentenced and will be handled by the provincial system, you have the right to ask for information, such as:

  • whether a person is under supervision, or in custody, and the name and location of the jail or supervising office

  • how to add your comments to a pre-sentencing report

  • estimated dates of release from custody and the dates of temporary absences or other types of release, along with their terms and conditions

  • notification of an offender’s escape, being unlawfully at large and recapture

  • warning of an offender’s possible threat to your safety and security

Other Rights and Services for Victims of Crime

Going through the justice process can take time away from work. Victims of serious crime have rights outside of the justice system. This includes specific rights from your employers, such as being given time off work to:

  • testify

  • present a victim impact statement to the court

  • observe any sentencing of the accused

Retrieved from: https://www.gov.mb.ca/justice/vs/vsc/vbr.html

Was this article helpful?